Childhood is slowly fading away...

Posted by Kae at 9:52 AM

Monday, March 2, 2009

This morning, I learned that one of the "icons" of my childhood had passed away. Uncle Al wasn't a real Uncle, he wasn't really a "friend". But he was a part of my childhood.

I was on TV quite a bit in my childhood. At least once a year. It was never a big deal, anyone could get on if they had the tickets and Mom always made sure that we got to do it. I remember it as being fun and we got to sing and watch the actors and see what it was like being "on set". Uncle Al and Captain Wendy were always super nice and I still love Mama's cookies. If I can find them. I think they went out of business again. *sigh* Barq's is still my favorite root beer. I remember we'd all have name tags shaped like Uncle Al's bow tie and we'd get those marshmallow "ice cream" cones and we'd stand in line waiting to go in to the studio. I even had a "star" spot one time when I was picked to hold the flag on Flag Day.

One thing I do remember is that, unlike shows today, Uncle Al and Wendy ended every program with a prayer. Both sung and spoken...

"Help me, God, to love you more,
Than I ever did before,
In my work and in my play,

Please be with me through the day,
Thank you for the friends we meet,
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you, God, for everything!"

And it was a great time. Uncle Al...I can't remember ever hearing a bad thing about the man. He was a legend here in Cincinnati. He was a pioneer for good Children's television. There just aren't enough people like Uncle Al and Captain Wendy anymore.

Ala-kazam one, Ala-kazam two, Ala-kazam three, and POOF!!

I'll miss you, Uncle Al. Thanks for all the great times.

0 berries eaten: