Byetta and the Ins company

Posted by Kae at 1:43 AM

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

As many of my friends know, I've been fighting with Humana over getting an authorization for the Type 2 Diabetes drug, Byetta. They say that my numbers are "too good" for me to qualify but they're not realizing that my numbers are the result of me being ON the Byetta in the first place.

Anyway, Monday I went to talk with my Doctor (who is totally behind me in this) about options. I figured I'd get myself all loaded up with facts (and I'm hell on the research!) and present them to her. Then I thought that there might be people searching for help in getting Byetta approved for themselves and I decided to post my reasons I NEED the Byetta.

Why I need the Byetta

1. We know that it works. And it works without side effects.

2. The test results that were sent to the insurance company were from when I was on the Byetta. If that’s what they’re judging the authorization on, then they need to realize that those numbers are because of the Byetta

3. Without the Byetta, I am constantly hungry with HORRIBLE cravings for junk, I’m irritable, more depressed (last Friday I had a very bad episode), constantly thirsty to the point where I can hardly sleep because I’m either getting up for water or to urinate. My 30 day average blood glucose was 130+

4. When I was on the Byetta, I could feel my life getting better. My depression lessened considerably, I had more energy and was sleeping MUCH better than I have in years. I never woke with a headache as I have been doing since being off the Byetta. (every morning) I had weight loss but, compared to the depression lifting and the increased energy, that’s almost insignificant to me. (Not that I don’t love that side effect!)

5. Because of the constant hunger even after eating a big meal, I think that there might be something else that the Byetta is treating other than just the blood glucose. It’s like my “hungry switch” is turned off and I actually feel FULL. Something I haven’t felt in well over a decade. For the first time in my life, I’ve actually FORGOTTEN to eat! I’ve never EVER had that happen!

6. It’s easier to make the correct choices for health when you’re not ravenously hungry all the time.

7. My A1C had a HUGE drop while on the Byetta.

8. I don’t want to futz around trying this drug or that drug. I don’t have TIME to do that since I’m not yet 5 years past my last chemo and the chances of my cancer coming back increases with my higher blood glucose numbers. It’s not a game to me. It really IS my life!

9. I was able to exercise for the first time in a long while! The energy coming back helped that! With the depression lifting, I was able to take care of things that I would just not have the energy or motivation to do.

10. Metformin alone just doesn’t work for me. From reading journal articles and talking with my Diabetes Educator (Nurse Cheryl Angel), I know that my insulin “switch” doesn’t go “off” which makes the hunger even worse.

11. I know that people are taking this for the wrong reasons (for weight loss instead of diabetes control) but that’s not why I want it. I don’t want to lose my feet, legs, eyesight.

12. In regards to my eyesight, I already have been diagnosed with pre-glaucoma. (Diagnosed by Dr John Cohen at Cincinnati Eye Institute 4/08) I don’t want to lose my eyesight and, if my numbers stay up, I’m afraid of that happening.

13. I do NOT want to try ANY insulin. Insulin causes weight gain and, frankly if what Dr Collins says goes, I make too much anyway. Also, I don’t want the risk of low blood glucose episodes. Especially since I am alone all day (10 – 15 hours a day) and have no one that could help me should I have an episode.

14. I don’t understand why the insurance company doesn’t want to approve this for me. Isn’t coughing up an approval now better than them having to pay even MORE for diabetes related complications in the future?

15. Crazy thing, probably not related, but my menopause symptoms got somewhat better while on the Byetta. I didn’t have as many hot flashes as I’ve been having over the past month and a half.

16. Amaryl is right out because of the warfarin I’m on.

17. Avandia has been shown to cause more fractures in women taking it. Combined with my menopause and the radiation therapy, this doesn’t seem like a very good option.

18. Just reading the information on the other diabetes drugs that could be “suggested” show that they’re used “In conjunction with diet and exercise.” I have no problem with that. I WANT to diet and exercise. HOWEVER, I think, over the years I’ve been a patient of Dr Dolensky’s, I’ve shown that diet and exercise don’t help because I’M ALWAYS HUNGRY.

19. OH YEAH! My eyesight again. I noticed a significant change in my eyesight while on Byetta. For the better! I wasn’t squinting and my eyes didn’t hurt like they do now.

20. And at the other end, the peripheral neuropathy from the chemo (and probably the diabetes) was REALLY helped while on the Byetta.

21. Januvia. A world of no. Why? Because it increases the insulin. Already make too much. Also side effects include Upper Respiratory Infections. Since I’m already VERY prone to those…I just don’t want to take something that will just make it even EASIER for me to get an URI.

22. On the subject of weight loss…it’s going to HELP the diabetes right? Why can’t I have something that’s going to HELP me??? And if it helps enough, I COULD just go to diet maintenance…right? Thus reducing the cost of diabetes related complications AND the medication costs. Without something that works on controlling the blood glucose AND taking care of the constant HUNGER, I’ll never have the chance of going on diet maintenance alone.

23. Patients can get better control, have tighter control and improve their A1C’s, isn’t that what every managed care plan wants to see happen because the cost of a patient with diabetes is several times higher than a non-diabetic. Approving the Byetta will only help my insurance costs go down.

0 berries eaten: