It's been 2 years today

Posted by Kae at 1:53 PM

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

2 years ago today I was admitted to the hospital for severe anemia and a blood clot in my leg. I was 35 years old.

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of my ordeal with chronic anemia, blood clots, coumadin (BLECH) and cancer.

All in all, it's been a difficult 2 years. I've had to learn about sudden intense food allergies, (black pepper) How to cope with chronic debilitating pain, coping with memory problems, the inability to drive anywhere by myself because I can't focus and I tend to forget I'm driving...while I'm driving.

But, the learning has helped me realize that I'm strong. I CAN cope with the pain, the memory loss, the constant exhaustion and the other various things that have gone on with my body. I've learned to deal with humiliation (like pooing myself in a store because of the radiation, or having to sit on a "litter box" (bed pan) in front of a doctor. Heck, being naked for just about every doctor visit for a year and a half. Body issues? Heh.)

I've learned what it means to be ALONE, and yet, I've learned just how much my family and friends love me.

For what it's worth, I'm grateful to that stupid blood clot.

1 berries eaten:

Kim said...

Well, for what it's worth, I'm grateful to that stupid blood clot too - if it hadn't been for SBC, the cancer might've already taken you from us. And I would miss you. :(