Opinions on Oprah

Posted by Kae at 12:16 PM

Thursday, January 29, 2009

You know, back in...was it 1986...Mom, K-sis and I started watching Oprah. She was fabulous, someone you'd like to get to know, someone real. A definite difference in daytime television.

She was a familiar friend, someone you could trust and know that they were going to steer you in the right direction for the most part. I learned quite a bit about myself from watching Oprah. From learning about hirsutism and PCOS to getting up the nerve to tell Mom and Dad about being molested. I thought her book club was a wonderful idea...badly executed because she ONLY chose books with horrible sad endings or where everything was a struggle...blah blah blah...but a great idea anyway. Anytime she mentioned a book, we'd have calls about it at both the book store I worked for briefly (Sorry C&L!) and the Library. She was becoming an icon, someone people looked up to, someone people could feel comfortable inviting into their living rooms everyday knowing that the chats were going to be fun and informative.

Then things started to change. She started going "Hollywood" and peppering her informative shows with the same old same old that other talk shows thrived on. It seemed like she was begining to believe her own press.

And now things have just gone too far. Oprah has been quoted as saying that Christians are wrong for their belief that Jesus is the only way to salvation and her obvious fawning over the "other O" is just sickening.

I understand that she's allowed to have her own opinions and to run her shows the way she wants to run them. I mean, the woman IS a great philanthropist. But one gets the feeling that, if Prez O wasn't married that Stedman would have some competition.

But the other thing that pissed me off was, she refused to have Palin on her show and, to me, it just smacked of "Oh I'm too important and so many people follow everything I say so there's no way I could ever have HER on here 'cause then people might actually vote for them."

Get over yourself, woman. Don't be so damn paranoid and so stuffed full of yourself. Give your viewers the chance to see both sides of each story...the way you do for MANY of your programs.

I'm so over Oprah. She needs to just go away now.

0 berries eaten: